The best new savory hors d’oeuvres to be offered at wedding venues.
Who would imagine that a combination of waffles with chicken drizzled in maple syrup would be so incredibly delicious. Hundreds of wedding guests at The Avenue Banquet Hall have proved it.
Simple and easy to make. You need a recipe for mini waffles and a recipe for fried chicken. You assemble one with the other and drizzle with maple syrup and you have created the waffle and chicken hors d’oeuvres masterpiece.
Mini Waffle Recipe
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl; stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
2. Cook batter in a preheated, oiled mini-style waffle iron 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until golden (about 1/2 Tbsp. batter per waffle).
Fried Chicken Recipe
1. The first step to cooking chicken breasts is to trim the fat.Very often the breasts have some fat and connective tissue still attached. And occasionally a piece of bone may also still be connected, too. Use a boning knife, which looks similar to a fillet knife, to remove the nasty bits. If you prefer to leave the fat on, that is fine.
2. 2. After you have finished trimming the chicken breasts, dry them with a disposable paper towel. Add salt and pepper to the breasts, and rub it in a little. Only use a little bit of seasoning. If you want to add some other flavors, I have a list in the upper right corner of this page that contains good poultry flavors.
3. 3. Heat up a heavy-bottomed frying pan or cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and move it around to dissolve. Once the foam has subsided, quickly add the breasts. Don’t touch the breasts for at least 2-3 minutes. The longer you leave it on each side, the deeper the heat is penetrating. Also, the chicken needs to form a crust so that it doesn’t stick.
4. 4. Flip the chicken after a few minutes and see how the first side is looking. Leave it on the second side for 5 minutes before flipping it again. The pan isn’t as hot as it was, so it will take longer on the second side. After cooking each side once more, check the internal temperatures of the chicken breasts. You want an internal temp of 165 degrees F. Cut chicken into small pieces.
Waffle and chicken hors d’oeuvres are a great addition to any party.